Creativity and Failure: A Little of Both
Whew. From noon Thursday to Friday evening, Longshot Radio and Radiolab used the 99% Conference in NYC as our home to talk about creativity, failure, and revision.
In a little under 30 hours we received over 75 pieces of raw tape, and ended up with 25 finished stories. We wanted to find a way to link the voices of people at the conference with those online and around the world. By having people post and answer questions on the Radiolab blog, we were able to have Jericho in Hawaii answer a question from Lisa in Texas. All told, we got tape from Hawaii, Virginia, Missouri, Toronto, San Francisco, Boston, and a dozen other cities.
We had entirely original music composed just for this project by music by Hsi-Chang Lin and Xander Duell. Every piece of scoring you hear was written in the last day. And Chang also provides the voice of our intros and outros.
You can hear all our pieces on our Tumblr by navigating the categories at the top of the page. Or, you can just with our editor’s picks.
Our goal at Longshot is to give seasoned radio makers a chance to try new things, and those just starting out a way to work on pieces that excite them. And, also, do it all really fast. If you want to join us for the next round, whenever that may be, sign up here. Be sure to follow us on twitter, visit soundcloud, and check out our previous episode.
Our thanks to everyone who helped make this possible (in absolutely no order): Chris Berube, Sean Sullivan, Posey Greuner, Rachel James, Mooj, Louisa Beck, Rachel Ward, Zack Seward, Anna Pinkert, Brian Karfunkel, Tim Falconer, J. Telischak, Kiani Angus-Torres, Jessicah Hohman, Jessica Naudziunas, Karen Ho, Gregory Warner, Sharon Mashihi, Hethre Contant, Julia Furlan, Alex Ballentine, Blake Cooper, Sam Greenspan, Nathan Dalton, Kim Werker, Kaitlin Prest, and Green Spaces NYC for letting us edit late into Thursday night. And thank you to everyone who submitted questions and answers online, and offered support and retweets and more.
Plus: Ellen Horne and all of Radiolab; Rachel and Jocelyn with the 99% Conference; Alexis Madrigal, Sarah Rich and Mat Honan of Longshot Magazine
- chiggerspit likes this
- myhandmadejewelry likes this
- paisa7 reblogged this from longshotradio
- wintaland reblogged this from longshotradio
- theaxeandbucket reblogged this from longshotradio
- kpwerker reblogged this from longshotradio and added:
- chi--was--here likes this
- culturecowboy reblogged this from longshotradio
- ohgodisthisit likes this
- mhisadj likes this
- andymillsmedia reblogged this from longshotradio
- verdigris reblogged this from longshotradio
- migrationnotebook reblogged this from longshotradio
- kozchive likes this
- fionjlau likes this
- longshotmag reblogged this from longshotradio
- evebadia likes this
- rebelsandthugs reblogged this from wnyc
- wnyc reblogged this from longshotradio
- alexanderraban likes this
- blakecooper likes this
- hazel likes this
- longshotradio posted this